Question: What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a Career as a Teacher?
Teaching elementary and secondary school students is a popular, challenging, and rewarding career. s teaching right for you? Weigh these simple considerations.
Difficulty meeting the needs of many diverse students
Often required to earn a master's degree for greatest job security (this is a perk from my perspective)
Small school budgets can be frustrating
Bureaucracy of red tape, guidelines, and managing the changing and often conflicting directives or principals, school boards, and parent-teacher associations
Homework. Teachers' work includes a great deal of behind-the-scenes activity preparing activities, grading work, and interacting with parents.
- Though you won't get rich, you will receive a solid paycheck with a salary in line with other professions
- Benefits such as health insurance and retirement savings, which are often hard to come by in today's job market (and also increase the economic value of your position)
- Work schedule will often matche those of your children, potentially reducing child care costs
- Weekends, holidays, and the summer off
- Opportunity to share your passion and foster it in others
- Knowing that you're making a difference