1. Education
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Financial Aid for Distance Education


The same type of financial aid that is offered to on-campus students can be offered to distance education students. Distance education students may be able to apply for scholarships, grants, and loans. If your school is accredited by the appropriate regional agencies (have a Title IV status), then you will be granted the same financial aid options as any other student. Though every school has their own policies regarding financial aid for distance education students, most schools have similar requirements. Contact the financial aid department of your school for more information on receiving aid for tuition.

General Requirements:

  • Submit a FAFSA form.
  • Enroll at least half-time.
  • Submit all financial aid documents to the school.
  • Have a declared major and working towards a degree or certification.
  • Must be eligible for federal or state financial aid.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Maintain good academic standing.


    Most scholarships can be obtained through your institution or through private sources of funding. Contact your school to see if they offer any scholarships to distance education students. Additionally, you can search for scholarships through websites that offer free online scholarship search engines. Scholarships can be used towards any accredited 2- or 4-year schools. Make sure the scholarship can be applied to a distance education program.

Federal Aid:

    Receiving federal funding for an online education is similar to that of a brick-and-mortar school. Note that not all schools can receive federal funding, so ask questions and do your homework.


    Some distance education students may be eligible for federal loans, such as Stafford and Federal Perkins Loan. Many private companies, however, also offer loans to distance education students. Sallie Mae and Citibank are some of the organizations that offer private loans to students. learn more about loans.

Career Training Loan offered through Sallie Mae:

    Career Training Loan is a loan that is offered to students in distance education programs, technical training or trade school, or continuing students. This loan covers the whole cost of tuition and other expenses. To be eligible you must be a U.S citizen or eligible non-citizen. Additionally, you must be enrolled half-time. If you have no credit or poor credit, you can apply with a co-signer. A minimum of a $1000 loan is required. The interest rate varies monthly and is based on your credit (or your co-signer's credit). Visit Sallie Mae’s website for more information and to apply.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.